Hello everyone, today we will talk about Startup Programs and:
- How to disable them.
- How to get anything you want – a program, a folder, or even a picture – to launch at the moment you launch Windows.
This feature is frequently used by people who want to speed up their computer. If you, too, are interested in speeding up your computer, check out our full guide on that, below. If you just want to know how to disable programs or get something to start the minute you turn on Windows, read on.
How to enable/disable your startup programs?
Method I for Windows 10 users
Windows 10 lets you control your startup programs just from your Task Manager, please follow these steps to do it:
- Open task manager from your taskbar or by pressing Ctrl + Shift + Esc.
- If you see the small panel, click More details to switch to the big panel.
- Open the Startup tab.
- Right-click on the apps you don’t need to start automatically at Windows Startup and select Disable (or Enable if it was already disabled and you want to enable it back).
- A simple hint may help you choose which programs to disable is the Startup Impact column. There are four different states for enabled processes: Low, Medium, High and Not measured. It’s recommended that you disable those with the High state but always make sure you don’t need any of them at startup. Once you disable any process, the state will turn into None, which proves that this process can’t affect your startup speed anymore.
- If you can’t see the Startup impact column, right-click on any column and make sure you check the Startup impact from the list.
Method II for Windows 7/8/8.1 users
In these versions of Windows, you won’t be able to find the startup tab in your Task manager, that’s why we follow a different method:
- Open Run by pressing the Windows key + R or type Run in your start menu and choose Run.
- Type msconfig.exe in your start menu or Run windows to open the System Configuration panel.
- Open the startup tab and select/unselect all the programs you want to enable/disable and click ok. You can also Enable all or Disable all.
- You’ll be asked to restart your computer either now or later, make your choice.
How to add a file, folder or program to startup?
There’s a startup folder in every Windows version. Our trick to getting things to launch at startup is that we’re going to create a shortcut to those files/folders or programs inside this folder. This is how:
- Open Run, type shell:startup and press Enter.
- Right-click on any file,folder or program and drag it to the startup folder.
- A menu will appear, choose Create shortcuts here.
- The shortcut will be created in the folder. Repeat the previous steps for everything you want to launch at startup.
- Restart your computer and magic will happen!
- Finally if you want to undo all of this, just delete the shortcuts from the startup folder.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I add a program to the Start menu?
You can go to the program path, right-click on it, and then select the Pin to Start menu option. Alternatively, you can go to the Start menu itself, click on All Apps, and then right-click the item you want to appear on the Start menu; then choose Pin to Start. Repeat until you’ve added all of the items you want. (See also Start Menu Not Working)
How do I change startup programs on Mac?
If you want to experiment with a Hackintosh or with a genuine Mac, things are just a tad bit different than on Windows. However, if you’ve used Linux before, you might find the interface a little familiar, especially if you’ve used popular distributions like Ubuntu or Linux Mint. Go to System Preferences > Users & Groups > Login Items for a list of apps set to launch on startup. From there, you’ll be able to add and remove any program you’d like to start up when macOS boots up.
How do I disable startup programs on Android?
There are two ways you can achieve this, and both are pretty efficient. The first one requires you to fumble around in the system settings. Go to Settings, Apps, and then select Application Manager. From there, you can go to the apps you want and select Turn off or Disable. However, selecting disable might remove it from your app screen completely, so if you don’t want that to happen and to avoid any inconvenience by going to the settings, again and again, we recommend you search for a startup manager on Google Play. There are several options on there, but looking through the reviews, you should select the best one. Once you’ve installed this startup manager, simply select the apps you no longer want to start when your phone boots and that’s about it.
Suggested Read: How To Stop Disk On Startup Windows 10
Every day, we encounter different problems on our computers and other devices that require immediate response so that our work won’t be put on hold. From typical system errors and installation of various devices to simple information about technical terms, our website offers most of your computer-related questions, especially for Windows 10. Check us out now and you may find helpful tutorials. Or you may directly ask about Android Cleaning Apps.