THIS THREAD HAS BEEN CLOSED.

Win 10 Mic Problems Thread

Updated on March 20, 2016 in Devices
95 on August 1, 2015

Hi,

If you’re having microphone problems in Windows 10 and this guide isn’t solving them for you, we’d be happy if you could let us know right here, and we’ll try to help.

Please explain:
– What’s the problem exactly?
– What is the name of your microphone/recording device?
– What Windows version are you using? (to check hold Windows Key+R and type winver into the box that opens up, click enter).

Thanks.

• Liked by
  • DeadLine
  • Ilan Flint
0 on August 1, 2015

My mic stopped working after I upgraded from Windows7 to 10 – I noticed it when trying to use skype but all tests, resets and anything else I try makes no difference – I am tempted to go back to before the upgrade as everything was fine ….

• Liked by
Cancel
0 on August 1, 2015

Thanks Foxymanx,

Can you share more information?
– what mic is this?
– what windows version (Hold Windows Key+R and type winver into the box that opens up, click enter).

• Liked by
Cancel
1 on August 1, 2015

So, I just upgraded to Windows 10 (Build 10240). I’ve tried using my microphone for Cortana, microphone set up, microphone test in browser and none of them work / hear any audio input. I open up recording devices and I only found 2 available labeled Microphone. In properties for the default set microphone, it says it’s Microsoft manufacturer, Sound, video and game controllers for device type, and it’s location is Location 0 (Internal High Definition Audio Bus). The status reads that the device is working properly.

Yet, whenever I try using the microphone in any app that uses it, it cannot pickup my voice or any sound.

on August 19, 2015

Sounds like my problem

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
3 on August 1, 2015

upgraded from windows 8.1 to windows 10 and my mic isnt working i tried everything but to no avail. its my laptop mic realtek high definition audio

on September 13, 2015

I have the same problem with the same laptop mic

on November 7, 2015

I also have the same problem  however I upgraded a while ago and it has only just happened. If I use headphones with a mike there is lots of white noise and I am picking up sounds from the other side of the room so that is unusable as well.

on November 8, 2015

Hi andy,

Can you try uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers?

In this way:
1. while the mic is connected to the computer, open device manager > audio inputs and outputs, left click on the microphone, and click ‘uninstall’.
2. disconnect microphone.
3. restart the computer.
4. Reconnect microphone and see if Windows reinstalls the correct drivers.

Cheers

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
2 on August 2, 2015

I just migrated to Windows 10, and my mic doesnt work. 

– What’s the problem exactly?
I see the mic on my device list, but when I talk to it it will not pick up any sound, no green bars moving.
– What is the name of your microphone/recording device?
VIA HD Audio, using the default microphone on ASUS S500CA
– What Windows version are you using?
Windows 10 build 10240

on September 13, 2015

solved really easily.. 
device manager
uninstall via hd
system scan for hardware
reinstall
done !

on September 15, 2015

Thanks marcellen.

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
0 on August 2, 2015

Thanks for the info everyone. 

Although it’s for an earlier build, can anyone try the steps outlined in this page?

• Liked by
Cancel
0 on August 2, 2015

I have the exact same issue as marcellen, same computer, same Windows version, everything.  The earlier build method doesn’t work. When I open Recording devices it says “the high definition IDT audio is causing problems, would you like to turn it off?”  Whether I turn I saw yes or no it does not matter, mic still doesn’t work.  It also does not show up as “internal array microphone” just “microphone” and IDT drivers are nowhere to be found in Device Manager.

• Liked by
Cancel
0 on August 3, 2015

Please try updating your drivers and see what happens.

Search Google for ‘”name of microphone” drivers’ and download the most updated version of the driver.

• Liked by
Cancel
0 on August 6, 2015

Sorry, I am away from home for 3 weeks, will try later (and maybe there is  a fix from microsoft then).

• Liked by
Cancel
0 on August 7, 2015

i’ve been having the same issue since i upgraded from 8.1 to windows 10. i’ve tried following the steps on your previous page to no avail. it’s windows version 10.

• Liked by
Cancel