Windows 10, built in laptop microphone not working

Updated on January 20, 2017 in Devices
3 on January 10, 2017

I have a Lenovo laptop with a built in Conexant SmartAudio microphone, running Windows 10 Version 1607, build 14393.576. I hadn’t had any problems with the microphone up until a few weeks ago, when it suddenly stopped working. When I right click on my volume controls and open up the “recording devices” menu, it shows that the computer detects the microphone, but when I talk, none of the bars on the right side of the menu turn green. However, when I first open the menu or if I click on one of the other tabs and switch back to the “recording” tab, several of the bars will turn green for an instant before going back to the default state. There are no other microphones detected by the computer, and the Conexant microphone is selected as the default.

In the levels tab of the properties of this device, I have the volume set to 100, and the device is not muted. I have tried the device at every level of Microphone Boost, and it has made no difference.

When I click on the properties button within the properties menu, the Device Status says that the device is working properly.

I have updated my microphone driver, my speaker drivers, the drivers under “sound, video and game controllers” in the device manager, and every single other driver on my computer, just to be as thorough as possible, and reset my computer after the drivers were updated. The microphone still does not work. Not sure what else to try, and help would be greatly appreciated.

• Liked by
0 on January 16, 2017

Hi DoneWithWin10sBS,

Nice nickname 😉
Sounds like you were really thorough with this, and still no success.

Is the problem still happening?

I would try plugging in an external microphone and checking if that one works, which would rule out a hardware problem…

We’d be glad to know what happened.

Cheers

• Liked by
Cancel
1 on January 20, 2017

– I am having the same issue. I would love additional suggestions to try

on January 20, 2017

Hey mmiller,
did you try the suggestion above: plugging in an external mic?

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel