Windows 10 laptop Built in microphone not working (Audio Hardware Issue?)

Updated on October 15, 2018 in Devices
6 on October 14, 2018

So after a recent windows 10 update i had issues with my audio drivers. I had to reinstall my realtek high definition audio driver to get the output sound to work. But now the issue is with my laptops built in microphone. Whenever I go to configure my microphone to test it and see if it works it just says “Make sure your audio hardware is working properly and check your audio configuration in the Audio Devices and Sound Themes control panel. Whenever i troubleshoot for issues it just says “Audio services not responding.” I’ve tried uninstalling the microphone device in device manager and plugging it back in but that didn’t work. If anyone has any suggestions on how to fix this i’d really appreciate it.

• Liked by
5 on October 13, 2018

More info on my issue: Found some more info that may be useful. Whenever i go to my device manager and go to Microphone (Realtek High Definition Audio(SST)) It says in the device status “This device is working properly” When it clearly isn’t. And when i go to the “Drive” Tab and click “Driver Details” It says “No driver files are required or have been loaded for this device.”

on October 14, 2018

Hello Stacey, before assuming it’s a hardware problem, I would suggest that you download and install the latest audio driver from your laptop manufacturer’s official website. If you can’t get to it, reply with your laptop brand and model number and we will redirect you to the compatible driver to download and install. 

on October 14, 2018

I have installed the latest audio driver. I still have this issue.

on October 14, 2018

I get it, I just wanted to confirm that you got it from the official website of your laptop manufacturer and not use the Windows update or driver update in Device manager, because these might get you the latest driver but not the latest “compatible” one which might be older. So, how did you get to the one you’re having?

on October 15, 2018

Yeah. I got the drive from the official website.

on October 15, 2018

Well in that case, I’ll recommend a little tricky solution in order to figure out if this is a hardware problem or a software one:

This way, you won’t have to install any OS or mess with yours, we will just try it (run it live) in order to test the microphone..

If the microphone works, it’s then a problem with your Windows 10 version and you should go for a fresh install. If it doesn’t work then we are facing a hardware issue.

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel