Searching through the Windows 7 taskbar was really fast and efficient. The Windows 10 version seems more problematic than the old one: sometimes it doesn’t find what we need, and sometimes the search box seems to be simply stuck and unresponsive. This may happen because of some service on the operating system, or because of a search index that needs to be reorganized. We will go through the fixing process step by step. Follow the steps and try your search bar after each step until it works.
First of all, restart your computer and try again
Restarting your computer is the best first step you can make. Many issues can be temporary and a simple restart can put things back together correctly. To do so:
If the problem still persists, keep following the next steps.
Now, try to repair your Windows System Files
In case there is a problem with some system files, this step will fix all system errors (it will take some time):
- Type “cmd” in your start menu, right-click on Command Prompt and choose Run as administrator.
- Click Yes to give it permission.
- Type the following command then press enter:
- After it finishes, restart your computer and try your search again.
Now, time to restart Cortana
If your search bar is still stuck or not finding what you’re looking for, restarting Cortana can sometimes help. Follow these steps:
- Right-click on any empty area in your taskbar and choose Task Manager.
- If you see the small panel, click More details to switch to the big panel.
- In the Processes tab, scroll until you see Cortana, right-click on it and choose End task.
- The Cortana process restarts automatically after it’s been shut by the user so no worries.
- Now try to use the taskbar search again and see if it works.
Let’s check Windows search service
Windows search is a service running in the background. By default, it’s set to start automatically when Windows starts up. What are we going to do is restart the service itself and recheck its startup mode:
- Type “run” in your start menu and choose Run or press Windows key + R to launch it.
- Type services.msc and then click OK.
- Scroll down to Windows search. Right-click on it and choose restart.
- Now, right-click on it again and choose Properties.
- In the General tab, make sure the startup type to Automatic or Automatic (Delayed Start) but I would prefer the first choice.
- In the Recovery tab, make sure the after failure actions are set to Restart the Service and then click Ok.
Next up are more solutions for people who can type into their search bar, but are not getting the results they want (or not getting any results at all).
Rebuild your search index
“Search Index” is a list of places where Windows 10 looks for the files or programs you’re looking for. If you can type the search words into the search bar but not getting results, it may be that the search index defaults are excluding some places to search in. Follow these steps to rebuild the search index so that it will include everything:
- Open Control panel by typing “control panel” in your start menu.
- Type “indexing options” in the search area and choose Indexing options.
- A window will show up, click Advanced.
- Click Rebuild. This will delete and rebuild your index.
- Click OK.
- Now let’s add some missing directories and remove those you don’t need. To do so click Modify.
- Click Show all locations.
- Check the locations you want to add and uncheck those you want to remove. Be careful, the larger your search index the slower your search will be, so try not to add useless directories. After finishing editing your list click OK.
- Click Close.
- Restart your computer and retry searching again.
If it’s not working yet, let’s give the troubleshooter a chance
- Search for “troubleshooting” in control panel and then choose Troubleshooting.
- Click System and Security.
- Right-click on Search and Indexing and choose Run as administrator.
- Click Next.
- Check the box which says Files don’t appear in search results. Then click Next.
- Click Close the troubleshooter after it ends scanning and fixing your problem.
If you use any Keyloggers or Anti-keyloggers, sometimes they encrypt your keyboard key strokes. That’s why the search service can’t recognize your typed words. So it’s better to shut them down while searching or uninstall them if you can.