Hello there, this is our latest updates page. It contains an explanation on how to download the latest update of Windows 10, and all the details on what that update will change and upgrade in your system. Every time a big update is released you can come here and check out the details; this page should be updated shortly after every release.
Let’s begin by explaining how to get it automatically and manually if you didn’t receive automatically yet.
How to get the automatic update?
In case you’re not getting the update automatically, here is another way to download and install it manually:
- Go to https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 and click on the Update now button.
- A light program will be downloaded to your computer, it’s the Windows 10 Update Assistant.
- Open the program and click Yes.
- You’ll see an icon appearing on your desktop named Windows 10 Update Assistant.
- Double-click on it, and click Update Now.
- If your CPU, Memory, Disk space are okay, click Next.
- Downloading updates will start, just wait for them to finish, and then your computer should be restarted.
- If your update stalls or gets stuck, read this guide on how to fix your windows update.
April’s update 2018
Simple math: this update came 6 months after the previous one. That period of time is big enough to make some important changes and offer a better experience for Windows 10 users.
Let’s not waste time here: these are the essential features that come with the new update.
Introducing Windows Timeline
This is the main feature that I wanted to update my Windows 10 for. Timeline now helps you switch between open windows but also some closed windows, files, folders and programs that you’ve been visiting during the last few days or weeks. it’s like Windows is keeping all the history of what you’re doing and helping you access your past activity.
You can simply visit the timeline by pressing the Windows logo key + Tab buttons. A slider on the right will help you scroll through the history, and finally, there is an option to search among the history in the timeline with the magnifying glass icon.
New design for multiple desktops
Microsoft Photos 3D animated effects
Good news, you can now drag contacts
That’s right, since the last update, we can see the contacts icon on the taskbar, we could pin contacts too but it was impossible to arrange them manually by dragging them using the mouse. Now, finally, our misery ends: you can now click any of your pinned contact, hold it and drag it right or left as you like.
You can also add up to 10 contacts on the Taskbar. It can be controlled from Settings > Personalization > Taskbar:
Microsoft Edge updated!
Microsoft really cares about its little browser: Microsoft Edge. Personally, I feel that Edge has improved a lot since its inception, even many of my friends in the field have officially switched to it. Look at it: extremely light (not a RAM beast like Chrome), extremely fast and incredibly compatible with Windows 10… Here are some of the new added features:
- You can now mute a tab (but audio must be playing in the first place, which means you can’t mute a YouTube tab while the video is paused, fix that Microsoft!):
- Autofill forms is now possible, you can save your address, credit card and other information and let Edge autofill the Web forms for you.
- Clutter-free printing, which means you can immediately print the content you want without pop-ups and and other webpage clutter. Turn on the feature when printing from the print dialog box – it’s not enabled by default.
- You can now read books, PDFs and webpages in full screen view, just press F11 in order to switch to full-screen.
- A new Dark Theme is available, just click on the three dots at the top right corner, click settings then choose the dark theme.
Sharing to nearby devices
This is a new Windows 10 feature and also integrated in Edge. You can easily share files, webpages or anything by clicking on share, your computer will then search for nearby devices connected by WiFi or Bluetooth and it’s really making file sharing easier. Here’s an example for a webpage:
- Click the share icon at the top right corner.
- If you haven’t used the “nearby sharing” feature before, then you’ll have to enable it at the dialog box that will appear by clicking on Tap to turn on nearby sharing.
- From now on, when you click the share button, you will be able to share anything to your pinned contacts and to nearby devices using Bluetooth and WiFi, make sure to turn them on before using it.
- If you want to make sure your device and other devices have nearby sharing turned on, navigate to Settings > System > Shared experience and check that the Nearby sharing toggle button is on.
Touch keyboard improved
People depend on the touch keyboard while using Windows 10 in tablet mode (in case of Tablets running Windows) or touch screen laptops. It’s got more options and new improvements:
- Different layouts to suit your needs:
- New emoji screen which allows you to input multiple emojis at once without switching back to the letters screen:
- A new smarter handwriting panel:
- Also, it supports Multilingual text and fully supported by text prediction for more languages.
Many of us get easily distracted because of many notifications that appear on our screen. They could be social media ones, available updates and many others. Focus assistant is a new feature that allows you to temporarily disable all notifications in order to focus on what you’re doing especially if you don’t want to get interrupted during a PowerPoint presentation, for example, and once you turn it off, you’ll be able to catch everything you missed. It’s really simple, just turn it on at the Action Center:
If you want more control and options, you can right-click on the quick access button at the Action Center and then select Go to settings. You can then choose from many options, set your priorities and automatic Focus during specific hours. You can also make Focus assistant turn itself on automatically while you’re duplicating the screen or playing a game. It’s all here:
Finally, we got Fonts in our settings
If you click on any of the fonts, you will be able to change the default font size, turn it bold, italic and more and finally preview it by typing in the box at the top. And you can always uninstall fonts when you get bored of them too.
Windows Defender Security center
Windows Defender is a security program integrated into Windows 10. It scans your computer files periodically, works as a firewall as well and lately, they added some ransomware protection too after a large volume of such attacks happened in 2018.
Fortunately, we have a full guide about it and how to disable it as well if you’re using some third-party security programs… Check it out here.
Fall Creators Update (October 2017)
The Fall Creators Update is a major update for Windows 10. Well, it came with so many features that it’s kind of impossible to include them all but we will talk about the most important ones to most of you, Windows 10 users.
Now let’s talk about the Fall Creators Update features
Maybe the first thing that will catch your eye after updating t Fall Creators version is the people icon on your taskbar. This feature guarantees quick access to your contacts (skype, email …etc) very fast.
If you want to add your android smartphone contacts too, you should have Microsoft Launcher (formerly Arrow Launcher) to connect your mobile with your Computer. It’s a very comfortable little program: I’ve personally been using it for the last year.
- Chosen contacts will be pinned to your taskbar
- You can share files and links smoothly by just dragging the file/link to the people icon.
- If someone replies using an emoji, it will show up right above your pinned contact.
Continue on PC
Microsoft always wanted your smartphone (Android/ios) to be connected to your Windows 10 computer, and now this is happening in a big way! You can now continue whatever you were doing (browsing, shopping…etc) with the Continue on PC option. This option can be chosen on your smartphone and then Microsoft Edge will be triggered automatically on your computer with the page you were surfing to, so you could continue whatever you were doing.
To do so on any Android device:
- Install Microsoft launcher and sign in with your Microsoft account.
- Open chrome and on any page click share.
- Select Continue on PC.
- Here you are, Edge is triggered and you can see the same page on your computer.
To do so on your iPhone:
- Install Continue on PC app and sign in with your Microsoft account.
- Open Safari and on any page click on the share icon.
- Select more.
- Select Continue on PC.
Currency Converter in the Calculator
There were many requests to include currency convertors in Windows 10’s calculator. This is finally included and you can always update the rates automatically.
Here’s a simple guide:
- Open your start menu and select Calculator.
- From the left pane, choose Currency.
- Set the two currencies you want.
- Put the amount and it will be automatically converted.
- To update the currency rates, simply select Update rates.
Microsoft Edge Updates
Microsoft Edge became so much smoother. That includes:
- A new User Interface for your bookmarks and favorites.
- Pinning websites to your taskbar.
- Edge is now a better PDF viewer, it allows you to rotate pdfs and adjust file layout for easier reading.
- Windows Defender Exploit Guard is here to protect you against Ransomware attacks and many other attacks that change your files without permissions. It’s cooperating with the Windows Defender Security Center and profiting from an enhanced coverage which is delivered instantly via the cloud protection service. Together, they monitor the health of your system and provide you with tips to make your experience better.
- Recovering your PIN and Password from your locks creen is now saving you time and effort to recover forgotten and changed PIN and Password directly from the lock screen after verifying your Microsoft Account identity.
OneDrive Files on-demand
You can now access your files and folder from OneDrive as usual but the new thing is that you can make them available online only. This way, you can save some storage space on your disk and they only get downloaded on demand when you double-click them. You can always have the old option to make them available offline to access them without internet connection but they’ll take space of course.
GPU usage can now be monitored in Task Manager
The performance tab in your task manager displays the usage of your GPU (Graphics Processing Unit), alongside CPU, memory, disk, and network resource usage (You usually have to scroll down as it’s at the bottom of the list).
Mixed Reality Viewer
This app allows you to add 3D models to your love camera and shoot videos and photos with it.
PS. you must have a compatible computer to be able to use this app. You can check your computer’s compatibility using this little checker provided by Microsoft.