Hello everyone! In today’s guide we’ll talk about one of the biggest moves by Microsoft concerning Windows 10. Microsoft declared there will not be a Windows 11 or any other Windows versions and that they will focus on sending features and updates to Windows 10. The Fall Creators Update is the latest major update for Windows 10. Well, it came with so many features that it’s kind of impossible to include them all but we will talk about the most important ones to most of you, Windows 10 users. We will tell you how to get it automatically and manually if you didn’t just receive it automatically.
How to get the automatic update?
How to get the updates manually?
- Go to https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 and click on the Update now button.
- A 6.38 MB program will be downloaded to your computer, it’s the Windows 10 Update Assistant.
- Open the program and click Yes.
- You’ll see an icon appearing on your desktop named Windows 10 Update Assistant.
- Double-click on it, and click Update Now.
- If your CPU, Memory, Disk space are okay, click Next.
- Downloading updates will start, just wait for them to finish, and then your computer should be restarted.
- If your update stalls or gets stuck, read this page on how to fix your windows update.
Now let’s talk about the Fall Creators Update features
Maybe the first thing that will catch your eye after updating t Fall Creators version is the people icon on your taskbar. This feature guarantees quick access to your contacts (skype, email …etc) very fast.
If you want to add your android smartphone contacts too, you should have Microsoft Launcher (formerly Arrow Launcher) to connect your mobile with your Computer. It’s a very comfortable little program: I’ve personally been using it for the last year.
- Chosen contacts will be pinned to your taskbar
- You can share files and links smoothly by just dragging the file/link to the people icon.
- If someone replies using an emoji, it will show up right above your pinned contact.
Continue on PC
Microsoft always wanted your smartphone (Android/ios) to be connected to your Windows 10 computer, and now this is happening in a big way! You can now continue whatever you were doing (browsing, shopping…etc) with the Continue on PC option. This option can be chosen on your smartphone and then Microsoft Edge will be triggered automatically on your computer with the page you were surfing to, so you could continue whatever you were doing.
To do so on any Android device:
- Install Microsoft launcher and sign in with your Microsoft account.
- Open chrome and on any page click share.
- Select Continue on PC.
- Here you are, Edge is triggered and you can see the same page on your computer.
To do so on your iPhone:
- Install Continue on PC app and sign in with your Microsoft account.
- Open Safari and on any page click on the share icon.
- Select more.
- Select Continue on PC.
Currency Converter in the Calculator
There were many requests to include currency convertors in Windows 10’s calculator. This is finally included and you can always update the rates automatically.
Here’s a simple guide:
- Open your start menu and select Calculator.
- From the left pane, choose Currency.
- Set the two currencies you want.
- Put the amount and it will be automatically converted.
- To update the currency rates, simply select Update rates.
Microsoft Edge Updates
Microsoft Edge became so much smoother. That includes:
- A new User Interface for your bookmarks and favorites.
- Pinning websites to your taskbar.
- Edge is now a better PDF viewer, it allows you to rotate pdfs and adjust file layout for easier reading.
- Windows Defender Exploit Guard is here to protect you against Ransomware attacks and many other attacks that change your files without permissions. It’s cooperating with the Windows Defender Security Center and profiting from an enhanced coverage which is delivered instantly via the cloud protection service. Together, they monitor the health of your system and provide you with tips to make your experience better.
- Recovering your PIN and Password from your locks creen is now saving you time and effort to recover forgotten and changed PIN and Password directly from the lock screen after verifying your Microsoft Account identity.
OneDrive Files on-demand
You can now access your files and folder from OneDrive as usual but the new thing is that you can make them available online only. This way, you can save some storage space on your disk and they only get downloaded on demand when you double-click them. You can always have the old option to make them available offline to access them without internet connection but they’ll take space of course.
GPU usage can now be monitored in Task Manager
The performance tab in your task manager displays the usage of your GPU (Graphics Processing Unit), alongside CPU, memory, disk, and network resource usage (You usually have to scroll down as it’s at the bottom of the list).
Mixed Reality Viewer
This app allows you to add 3D models to your love camera and shoot videos and photos with it.
PS. you must have a compatible computer to be able to use this app. You can check your computer’s compatibility using this little checker provided by Microsoft.