Sometimes, when trying to set up a newly added printer as the default printer, you are met with a popup alert screaming “Operation could not be completed (error 0x00000709). Double-check the printer name and make sure the printer is connected to the network.”
Consequently, this error prevents you from setting your current printer as your default printer. In this post, we’ll delve into how you can fix error 0x00000709.
- Causes of error 0x00000709
- How to fix the error
- Method 1: Using the ‘Devices and Printers’ settings
- Method 2: Modification of Registry settings
- Method 3: Using third-party application software
- Final Word
Causes of error 0x00000709
This scenario happens due to a glitch that occurs in the registry settings. The registry keys prioritize the previous printer driver as the default one and prevent you from setting the current driver as default. It’s a common occurrence in Windows 7, 8, and 10 operating systems. If you’ve encountered this error, don’t be anxious. A few tweaks in the settings or in the registry will remedy the situation. Jus follow the steps that we will provide.
How to fix error 0x00000709
Method 1: Using the ‘Devices and Printers’ settings
- Head out to ‘Control Panel’ by simultaneously Pressing Windows Key + S and typing ‘Control Panel’.
- Under ‘Hardware and Sound‘, select ‘Devices and Printers’.
- Locate the printer driver you wish to set as default. Right-click and select ‘See what’s printing’.
- In the Window that appears, Click on the ‘Printer’ tab.
- In the pull-down menu that appears, select ‘Run as administrator’.
- Finally, click on ‘Set as Default Printer’ on the main menu.
If you already running as the system administrator, this option will not be visible in the menu. In that case select ‘Set as Default Printer’.
Method 2: Modification of Registry settings
If the method didn’t work, try through the registry. Note: changing the registry is for advanced users, and may harm your system if done the wrong way. Before you proceed further, ensure you make a backup of your registry and create a registry restore point so that should things not work as expected, you can roll back to your previously working system.
- Simultaneously Press on Windows Key + R to open the Run Dialogue Window.
- Type regedit and hit Enter to open the windows registry Window as shown below
- The User Access Control pops up. Click on ‘Yes’ option to proceed to Windows Registry editor.
- Alternatively, you can simultaneously Press Windows key + S and type regedit in the search bar.
- Right-click and select “Run as Administrator”
- On the left Pane, you’ll notice the key registry folders.
- Expand HKEY_CURRENT_USER followed by SOFTWARE
- Next, navigate to the path outlined below
Software>Microsoft >Windows NT>Currentversion>Windows. Right-click on Windows folder and select ‘Permissions’
- A pop-up dialogue box will appear. Scroll down and locate ‘Administrators’ option and assign ‘Full control’ options as shown. Likewise, do the same to the username you used to sign in with and click OK
- Back to the Registry Editor. Locate these two files and delete them. Once done, restart your PC.
By now, you should be able to set your printer as your default printer. ????
Suggested Read: Taskbar Not Working
Method 3: Using third-party application software
You can use proprietary or free software to fix your Windows registry keys if they are corrupt. Again, before you proceed, make sure you have a backup copy of your Windows registry and more preferably, create a system restore point.
An example of a third-party tool you can use to repair registry keys is Reimage Repair which has the ability to perform a deep scan of your systems and repair corrupt registry files.
Once Launched, the process of repairing your PC takes a simple click of a button and all you have to do is fix yourself some coffee as the software does the hard job. The only drawback is the lengthy duration it takes to scan the registry and system files. However, once done, your PC will be back to normal and you’ll be able to set your printer as the default one.
As always, your feedback is most welcome. Feel free to engage us in the comment section whether you succeeded in solving the problem or not, we’ll be glad to provide more help.